Strange Damp 'Beside' Window With old Double Glazing
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

Jemster
Apprentice
Apprentice

Strange Damp 'Beside' Window With old Double Glazing

by Jemster » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:45 am

Before I start making a mess ripping things apart here :)

We have old double-glazing in a solid-wall 1920's property. It's been in since the 70s and various individual windows have had problems, usually to do with lower trim strips letting water in, which then seeps below the frame and saturates the wall. Nice. But we've got that one in hand.

However, one of the "frames" has a different problem. I say "frames" as I'm not 100% positive this is being caused by the frame but can see no other problems.

This one has no damp below it, but on one side there is a vertical patch of damp that is happening about 20cm away from the reveal and extends maybe 40-50cm in length.

Damp to side of window
Damp to side of window

Externally all looks good and has been re-sealed. Frame drains are working, existing seals are in good condition. There is a bit of d-section, maybe 30mm deep along the top edge but it looks intact.

Internally I've replaced all the trims and re-sealed.

I *think* the original window would have had a wooden box sash at the sides as I can tell the first 15cm or so is a hollow panel and one of the others was constructed like this.

The external wall is rendered, there's nothing else in the immediate vicinity. The render had a few small cracks that were all filled last year and the entire house re-painted.

Top window
Top window

I'm having difficulty understanding where it's coming from and suspect the frame as there have been so many other frame problems, but can that cause a damp problem so far off to the side?

I'm just seeking a little advice before I go ripping out the boxed section at the side when it may be nothing to do with the frame. I'm not sure how the frame is fixed in as the block work feels to be so far back off the sides of the window?

Any advice on what horrors I can expect to find in here would be appreciated, and how I'd go about fixing them...

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:59 pm