Strip light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dtayl
Labourer
Labourer

Strip light

by dtayl » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:48 pm

I am trying to put up a strip light in a garage and wired it to a plug with live neutral and earth but the light will not work. The manual suggests that the light will not work without sufficient earthing. Any suggestions?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:41 pm

3 wires, can't be simpler, check connections make sure not done screw term up on insulation instead of copper, did the light work before ? is tube in properly, is there a starter sw. ? is it in correctly?
not much else to check except plug fuse, even new ones can be duff,

ericmark

by ericmark » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:26 am

I agree with everything Sparx says so will not repeat.
Some long i.e. 8 foot lamps do not like the cold and anywhere unheated I have tried to limit to 6 foot. Also very affected by volt drop and some old fittings designed for 240 volt may have problems starting. I have needed to rub many to get started. Some tubes have a metallic strip end to end and do need earth on this to strike but these were normally thicker tubes than used now and that can also be a problem where slimline tubes are used in fitting designed for old fat type.
Except for the HF versions most fitting are very voltage dependent and over voltage they use way over rated amount of power and under voltage they fail to strike. Starters do need to match fitting and wrong one can stop it working and often there is a fuse inside the fitting. Normally 3 amp.
Eric

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:06 am