Stripping ornate cast iron bannister supports
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Edpaterson
Tradesman
Tradesman

Stripping ornate cast iron bannister supports

by Edpaterson » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:58 am

Hi

Any suggestions for the best way to strip quite ornate cast iron supports for the bannister in a Victorian house. The cast iron has quite a bit of relief in it but has been coated with several coats of paint over the years.

If possible I would prefer a non-sloppy product to minimise the risk to adjacent fittings.

Thanks

Ed Paterson

Buzzard73
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Buzzard73 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:05 pm

I've seen two products that will do exactly what you need:
Peelaway and Readystrip Plus.

Never used Peelaway but it is said to do the same as ready strip (just seems alot more expensive).

I've used ready strip on both door frames and cast iron and you will be amazed at how well it works. The only place I have found who sell it in the UK are based in London and it's £25 for a half gallon tub (25sq.ft coverage). They have an ebay shop which is where I got mine from after using that Nitro stuff which burns like molten lava if you get it on your skin.

Readystrip is odourless and completely biodegradable and safe enough to paint yourself with - although I really wouldn't suggest that! Not very cost effective if you did!

rigga
Ganger
Ganger

by rigga » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:31 pm

Edpaterson
Look in the products page for a paint stripping paste, there are quite few on the market you spread on and cover with paper. Leave to soak then peel the paper of and it removes the paint. As usual take precautions when using any chemical paint stripper, e.g. gloves goggles, ventilation.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:32 pm