Stuck upvc Window - How do I Open to Replace Mechanism?
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
themoffster
Apprentice
Apprentice

Stuck upvc Window - How do I Open to Replace Mechanism?

by themoffster » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:51 pm

I don't know what happened to the other post i made about this - i think it might not have worked as i did it on my phone....

Anyway, I have a upvc window which has shoot bolts at the top and bottom, a lock in the middle and espags an inch or so from the shoot bolts at both ends.

My window is locked in the shut position as the bottom espac and shoot bolt aren't retracting when the handle turns, so the mechanism is broken i think.

The same thing happened a couple of times before and the repair guys removed the pane and then magically got the window open. I am looking to fix it myself by fitting a new mechanism to save money, but I can't get the window open.
Once the pane is out, what is the magic 'trick' to get the frame out of the lock - that's the only part i can't figure out.

thanks

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Stuck upvc Window - How do I Open to Replace Mechanism?

by welsh brickie » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:04 am

once you remove the glass the pvc moves sufficiently enough to lift the window open

themoffster
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Stuck upvc Window - How do I Open to Replace Mechanism?

by themoffster » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:31 pm

welsh brickie wrote:once you remove the glass the pvc moves sufficiently enough to lift the window open

Thank you. After deglazing it was very easy

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:26 pm