stud wall to concrete floor
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
agb32
Apprentice
Apprentice

stud wall to concrete floor

Post by agb32 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:32 am

Hi,
I need to put a stud wall onto a concrete floor - how should I fix it to the floor? I'm worried that by screwing it in, I might damage the damp membrane in the concrete?

Do I need any damp proof material between the wood and the concrete?

(to my knowledge, the concrete is dry).

Thanks...

Oddbod
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Oddbod » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:30 pm

Hi. Is it really concrete? It's probably just screed to be honest.

Either way it'll be plenty thick enough to take a screw/masonry nail that penetrates (say) inch and half without damaging the damp proof course.

If you need to use a damp proof membrane you have far more serious problems to worry about - believe me!

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:49 pm

Mmm.

First - do you know if there are any cables or water pipes in the vicinity of where you want to put it. Best to know.

Second - can you say if it is a screeded over timber floor or concrete. Fro your post I suspect the latter. Knowledge of the location might help including age of house and ground floor or above. It will make a difference and I'M not going to jump to conclusions.

Third - I'd presume you'll be using 3 x 2 (sorry 75mm x 50mm) timber for the sole plate and I think I'd want to be using bigger fixings than 4 or 4½ inches.

Cheers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:43 pm