DIY Doctor

Main navigation


Postby Stevel » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:07 pm

We are trying to buy a house which has small cracks in one wall and steps to the side door which have obviously moved. A structural engineers report was required which says subsidence, or words to that effect.
My question is if the offending steps and single storey wall (which is the end wall of a converted coal shed) were demolished and built again from the foudation up, would we then be able to legally tick the box for no history of subsidence on the insurance application or would the current insurers have to declare a history of subsidence to another insurer..
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:17 pm


Simply Build It

Postby Perry525 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:56 pm

If you are not one hundred percent sure that what he wrote means subsidence then ask for clarification.
And take a very careful look at the property to ascertain if indeed there is subsidence.
Houses used to be built using soft mortar made with lime and they were designed to move under the effects of cold and sun, if someone has used cement based mortar subsequently, then this will often form cracks.
If there is indeed subsidence, then you need to understand the future implications regarding insurance costs and the effect it will have when you come to sell it.
Rank: Site Agent
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 734
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:35 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics