Subsidised Insulation in a Self-build!!!
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
RNMC81
Labourer
Labourer

Subsidised Insulation in a Self-build!!!

Post by RNMC81 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:01 pm

Hi there,

I am in te process of building my own home and plan to use a combination of insulation board and glass/rockwool.

I have purchased a fair bit of the £3/roll subsidised insulation from B&Q...the pack says its not for use on new builds however i was speaking to a chap who told me it was fine as its a self-build and im not working under any other CERT schemes....is this correct?

another quick question....is there any visual difference to this subsidised insulation compared to the £20/roll stuff, like do they put a darker fleck through it to identify it?

thanks in advance,

Robert

andy01
Ganger
Ganger

Post by andy01 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:18 pm

when you insulate you are trying to achieve a specific U-value, a measure of a materials thermal insulationing property.
read part L of the building regs.

as a new build you are trying to achieve a minimum thermal insulation value.

this is important as it
1.save the environment
2.saves energy
3.saves money in the long term - which is generally more than the short them, unless you are building to sell
4.helps stop mold and condensation
5.stops cold spots and drafts in the home
etc

your last question "is there any visual difference to this subsidised insulation compared to the £20/roll stuff, like do they put a darker fleck through it to identify it? "
sounds like you intend to use the cheap stuff which wont insulate your building properly, but you will lie to the building inspector an get your certifcate.

i guess it depends on whether your looking to maximise your profit or do the job properly

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:21 pm