DIY Doctor

Summer house / home office and regs

Postby dandude » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:33 pm

Hi - long term lurker first time poster :-)

I have an old shed in my garden tucked away behind my garage that is quite literally about to fall down, i want to replace it with a brick built building that i can use as a summer house and occasional home office.

what I'm a little confused about is if i need to get the local authority round approve it.

Q5 in the planning portal FAQ on building regulations states that you don't need to seek approval for this sort of building provided that any electrical work complies to PART P.

and from what i can tell it would be exempt under Schedule 2 as long as its its far enough from my boundary (is it 1M for this type of building ?)

have I read that correctly ? if i get a competent sparky to come and do the electrical work then I don't need site visits etc ?

any help greatly appreciated !
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:55 pm


DIY asbestos test kits

Postby sparx » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:52 pm

Hi not qualified to comment on bldg regs although sounds right, but your sparky must be part P registered in order to self certify his work or pay a largish fee to bldg control to inspect it which is a bit self defeating....
regards SPARX
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2166
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:33 pm
Location: The fifth continent.

Postby dandude » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:04 am

sweet - thanks sparx
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:55 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics