Sunken Power Cable
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
russellfl
Ganger
Ganger

Sunken Power Cable

by russellfl » Sun May 11, 2008 12:32 pm

Hi,

I need to add a double socket spur off the ring main in a bedroom. I will be cabling from the existing socket which is about 150mm above the floor to a position about 1metre above the floor and want to sink it into the plasterwork.

Can anyone tell me what type of armouring I should now use? In the past I have used the metal omega shaped armouring but I have seen on the tele oval conduit being used. Which is correct?

Cheers

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun May 11, 2008 7:25 pm

The capping omega shaped or oval conduit are only there to assist in plastering and since the latter reduces the slot size required is normally used for alterations but the capping is used for new build or where whole wall is to be plastered. The restriction is where you can run cables either horizontal or vertical but not both. Unless RCD protected or using one of the permitted cables like Flexishield. Part M I think states between 400 and 1000mm above finished floor level for sockets some books say 450 to 1200mm not that I would worry in a bedroom where visitors are not likely to visit.

russellfl
Ganger
Ganger

by russellfl » Tue May 13, 2008 5:28 pm

Thanks Ericmark, thats a great help cheers!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:23 pm