Supafil Blown Cavity Insulation turns to Grey Mulch when wet?
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Juniper
Labourer
Labourer

Supafil Blown Cavity Insulation turns to Grey Mulch when wet?

by Juniper » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:02 pm

Hello. I have just moved into a 1930's semi which is absolutely freezing, so I'm obviously trying to improve the insulation. Yesterday I had blown in cavity wall insulation. The company website says they use supafil. I looked on the supafil website and it all checked out. After the installers left there was some of the insulation blowing about, so I picked it up and put a few drops of water on it. It immediately became soaked; and rubbing it through my fingers, turned into a grey mulch then dissolved into nothing. If you care to go to the supafil website it mentions the specs, including the mention of a water repellent. My basic question to forum members is how can this delicate white fluffy stuff work as it is supposed to. It does not appear to be in any way water repellent; in fact less so than cotton wool. I am worried now, I've had this stuff pumped into my walls, and the slightest bit of moisture is going to turn it to mulch? Any feedback most welcome.

thedoctor

Re: Supafil Blown Cavity Insulation turns to Grey Mulch when wet?

by thedoctor » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:59 pm

This is a question that needs to be addressed to the installation company. You need to fully understand what you have paid for and why it behaves the way it does when wet.

Cavities are often wet through water ingress through madonry and condensation so you need to be absolutely sure why the insulation is nehaving the way it does.

Most answers you will get in the forum will be from non qualified people offering opinions but you need a definitive answer with a purposeful solution so please ask the company you commissioned.

MikeGrahamT21
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Supafil Blown Cavity Insulation turns to Grey Mulch when wet?

by MikeGrahamT21 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:10 am

Check with the installers, this job will be insurance backed warranty via CIGA. Don't worry too much though, as some of the products are injected wet, and will dry naturally.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:06 am