All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mellie_man
Labourer
Labourer

Support for Additional and Additional 70gal Cold Water Tank

Post by Mellie_man » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:26 pm

thumb_IMG_1533_1024.jpg

Could I please get some advice about installing an additional 70gal CW tank. (330kg inc tank I think) Please move this if its in the wrong forum!

First picture is position of current 50 gal tank, but refill/draw rate is not sufficient, with two teenagers and power shower X2 in the house. Seems to be supported by 2x4 sawn timber (OC unknown) and 18mm chipboard across the purlins, plus one 3x3 original beam.

2nd/3rd picture shows vaulted ceiling space I want to use (Pic1 bathroom through door on left). House is C1900 all internal walls are single brick full height of house, so assume load bearing.

Wall to Purlin is 1.8m and fitting 1650x610x500mm l.w.h tank leaves just enough room to use 2x4 CLS and 18mm ply directly above the door frame height. Had a look at span tables and its on the limit for floor joists. (http://www.awc.org/calculators/span...b ... pan#answer)

Platform will need to be 800mm wide to allow for plumbing.

1. Will 2x4 CLS and 18mm ply be strong enough with o.c. 300mm and two rows of noggins.
2. Plan to fit joists to purlin with long leg hangers, is this feasible.
3. What is best way to attach joists to wall end (masonry hangers or through fix a timber end plate)
4. Should I through fix a joist to side/long wall to spread the load on to that wall.

any advice welcome.
thumb_IMG_1533_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_1533_1024.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thedoctor

Re: Support for Additional and Additional 70gal Cold Water Tank

Post by thedoctor » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:49 am

Hi

If all items are fixed solidly it "should" be Ok but the idea of hanging a large water tank if the correct support is not given could potentially be risky

1: @ 300mm centres you should be OK but to be on the safe side I would bolt
2 together either side of the central joist…..so from centre line going in both directions you have a 4 x 2 joist, then 2@4x4 then the rest @ 4x2

2. Yes as long as hangers are fixed securely, the platform is only as secure as those fixings regardless of the timbers you use

3. Fix a joist securely along the wall then hang from that.

4. No need, it will not really spread the weight evenly

Kind Regards

Mellie_man
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Mellie_man » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:02 am

Thanks for the detailed reply.

One follow up Q

Can you recommend, or point me towards finding the correct size/type/amount of fixings for the end plate to the brick wall on the left.

Was thinking of 6 off these anchors
http://www.screwfix.com/p/sleeve-anchor ... f-10/19964

There are loads of fixings but its hard to find the weight limit for each.

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:45 pm

Hi

We sell the correct fixing in our toolstore here - https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/DIY-superst ... ag-10.html

These are 97mm long so the timber you use needs to be 50mm thick. At every fixing place you need to use a 25mm flat drill bit to drill down 20mm into the timber - https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/DIY-superst ... 152mm.html

This then allows the head of the bolt to sink below the surface of the timber, letting more bolt into the wall while giving a neater finish as these holes can be filled.

Kind Regards

Mellie_man
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Mellie_man » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:52 pm

Thanks for the great advice.

I think that I will double up on the 2x4 CLS on all joists and use 75mm hangers.
Will remove plaster and fix sleeve anchors in mortar joint.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:11 pm