Supporting Pantry and Loo Wall Removal
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

N9THX
Labourer
Labourer

Supporting Pantry and Loo Wall Removal

by N9THX » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:33 pm

Hi, Just moved into a 1920's semi and thought knocking out a downstairs loo and pantry wall would be trouble free. However, it seems the above joists rest on this wall. I think to take the stress off the pantry door opening.
My question is how do I support/replace the split 2 joists once the walls are removed?
Currently they span the adjoining dining room and rest on the pantry wall after passing over the pantry doorway.
Joist hangers? Mounted into the wall?
The pantry doorway is being bricked up at the same time the walls are removed.
I'm concerned because a bath will be resting above once the renovations are complete.
Attachments
View from inside loo showing joists resting on wall.
View from inside loo showing joists resting on wall.
forum joists 3.jpg (44.16 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
Orange will be new joists, resting on new thicker wall of bricked up doorway? Or joist hangers?
Orange will be new joists, resting on new thicker wall of bricked up doorway? Or joist hangers?
Black dotted lines are walls to be removed. Kitchen is below room with fireplace above but no chimney breast in kitchen below.
Black dotted lines are walls to be removed. Kitchen is below room with fireplace above but no chimney breast in kitchen below.