SWA found buried underneath path - any ideas what for - BT?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cleland72
Labourer
Labourer

SWA found buried underneath path - any ideas what for - BT?

Post by cleland72 » Mon May 11, 2020 2:07 pm

I had to dig-up our front garden path over the weekend (leaking water supply pipe - local water company not interested until the lockdown is over) and in the process found this 10mm clear plastic SWA cable buried in the ground. It looks way too small to be the mains supply (and I think that would black bitumen cable in anycase) but it does seem to run from the roadway to the house, although I can't see it in the utilities cupboard by either the gas meter or electrical service-head. Our BT phone line does come in underground but it looks overkill for a 2 wire phone line but you never know.

Anyone shed any light?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: SWA found buried underneath path - any ideas what for - BT?

Post by Mr White » Mon May 11, 2020 5:17 pm

It's a BT cable. Just because your phone only uses two wires, doesn't mean to say they don't add spares.

cleland72
Labourer
Labourer

Re: SWA found buried underneath path - any ideas what for - BT?

Post by cleland72 » Tue May 12, 2020 8:47 am

Thanks, that was my suspicion - bet they're a little more economic these days with the price of copper!

Anyhow, it's staying where it is, just waiting for the water co to come and inspect before I backfill.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:55 am