SWA
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
peterconnolly
Apprentice
Apprentice

SWA

by peterconnolly » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:31 pm

Hi,

Another question regarding changing the CU in a flat. The CU is fed from the meter and main fuse in a meter room through the wall in a SWA. This is currently terminating on a metal CU with an appropriate gland. I would prefer to use a new plastic CU. Are there any suggestions or regluations regarding how I can terminate the SWA on a plastic enclosure? It does not look sturdy enough to handle a gland and I am struggling to understand what I need to do in order to use the existing SWA cable.

Thanks ... Peter

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Hi P.C.
there should be a 'banjo/teardrop' plate on gland to allow an earth bolt to be fitted, however they can loosen on plastic & we use something called a Piranha back nut from most reputable wholesalers which are simply a very thick locknut to replace the existing one but they have a tapped hole in each face of the nut to take a lock grub screw in one and a screw/star washer for a crimp lugged cable to another.
These come in sets of 4 or 10 in a bag c/w allen key etc. well worth carrying in tool box, regards
SPARX

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: SWA

by BLAKEY1963 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:51 pm

[quote="peterconnolly"]Hi,

Another question regarding changing the CU in a flat. The CU is fed from the meter and main fuse in a meter room through the wall in a SWA. This is currently terminating on a metal CU with an appropriate gland. I would prefer to use a new plastic CU. Are there any suggestions or regluations regarding how I can terminate the SWA on a plastic enclosure? It does not look sturdy enough to handle a gland and I am struggling to understand what I need to do in order to use the existing SWA cable.

Thanks ... Peter[/quote]

PETER
IF U TERMINATE ON A PLASTIC ENCLOSURE AND THE ARMOURED
IS 2 CORE THEN THE EARTHING RING OF THE GLAND MUST BE CONNECTED WITH AN EARTH CABLE LUGGED AND BOLTED AND RUN TO THE EARTHING TERMINAL OF THE PLASTIC CONSUMER UNIT.
ALSO THIS IS NOTIFIABLE WORK AND WOULD REQUIRE A PART P REGISTERED ELECTRICIAN
BLAKEY1963

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:19 am