Switch wiring assistance
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
scoobysnax1
Labourer
Labourer

Switch wiring assistance

by scoobysnax1 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:50 pm

Hi, could someone help me out with wiring up a switch please. We have a very dark cupboard below the stairs, and I want to install a light that will come on when the cupboard door is opened. I was planning on running a cable that will be plugged into a nearby wall socket, into the cupboard to provide the power, but need assistance with the wiring from cable to switch, and switch to bulb holder. Hope the diagram explains what I need to achieve. I have included the Manufacturers part numbers for the parts that I have already purchased.
[attachment=0]Cupboard Wiring.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
Cupboard Wiring.jpg
Cupboard Wiring.jpg (22.91 KiB) Viewed 1832 times

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Switch wiring assistance

by ericmark » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:56 pm

I looked at the switch on amazon and it would seem this switch either will need extra low voltage or be enclosed in some box as it has no cover over the terminals. Likely designed for extra low voltage use.

The putting of a hot bulb in a cupboard is not a good idea so either a compact florescent lamp CFL or LED would be better.

I did a google for "BA22d 12 volt bulb" and found 11W 12V DC bulbs at £11 which need 1 amp. A further google for "1A DC power supply" and for under £6 found one (Farnell) so yes it could be done as a 12 volt system using that switch.

Again google for "Limit Switch" found a range of switches suitable for 230 v where there is a cover over the terminals. For example the "HONEYWELL S&C - GLLA04A1B - LIMIT SWITCH, SPDT " again farnell at £5.66.

I will agree did find a problem getting the right name for switch and it is the names which is the problem.

So which way are you going? 12v or 230v? By the way 12v is called extra low voltage and 230v is called low voltage many make mistakes here. With 230 volt you will need an earth and also glands with 12 volt no need for earth wires.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:50 pm