Tanking in a kitchen
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

mrowen
Labourer
Labourer

Tanking in a kitchen

by mrowen » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:10 am

Hi, After some advice. We recently had our living room damp proofing redone after I wasn't happy with the results of the first job. I am fitting a new kitchen pretty soon and I know the same stretch of wall in the kitchen will be the same (mould on the back of the units, walls in cupboards etc)

So after a bit of research I think I can do this job myself, but the amount of products out there to do this is a bit confusing to me, from what i saw when the guys came to tank the living room (my house sits a couple of foot below an ajoining road - im on the end of a terrace) they didn't use any kind of membrane, they seemed to knock all the plaster off, render the wall (greyish layer) then another layer (brown) then the finsihing plaster. I did notice they had a tub of a chemical called SBR there.

I'm after the cheapest but most effective way of tanking 1mtr up, after looking here Google"kingfisheruk.com/shop.php?page=basement_tanking" this seems similar to how they did it ?

I was thinking of getting the squirty dpc cream, putting a dpc int hat way then;

salt neutraliser>render>some kind of tanking slurry stuff>more render/plaster backing coat>finsih plaster.

Does this seem like the best way ? and do the prices on here seem fine ? Im not sure if I need a whole range of products from one company, if they only work that way, or if I can grab some salt neutrasliser from somehwre cheaper etc etc.

apologies for the long post - but I'm fairly confident I can do this, i just need to know how to, what to use !

Cheers

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 pm