Tarzan!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
waltong
Labourer
Labourer

Tarzan!

by waltong » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:03 pm

Hi and help!

My son has walked into the room with a ceiling light fixing. I suspect it had someone pulling it or worse! The whole rose has come down and I think I can replace it but......I have 3 cables. Each having a red, black and heavy copper wire. Two of the black wires are in one holder. Looks like the 3 red wires are in another and 1 black wire is on its own?? The rose I've bought has earth, neutral, SW and loop connections. I'm assuming earth and neutral are straitforward but what goes into SW and what into loop? Light has a normal dimmer switch on the wall.

Any help before I sentence my child to working in a coal mine for the next 10 years!?

Thank you .

Geoff.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:54 am

The whole rose has come down and I think I can replace it but......I have 3 cables. Each having a red, black and heavy copper wire.

Normal feed in, Feed out and Switch cables I would think.

Two of the black wires are in one holder.

These will be the neutral wires. Normally fit on outside in a three connection block together with one wire from lamp.

Looks like the 3 red wires are in another

These will be line wires. (Loop) Normally fit in centre on a three connection block and have no connection to local lamp.

and 1 black wire is on its own??

This will be switch wire it should have a red sleeve or tape on it and very important it does not get mixed up with other wires as it is line not neutral. Normally fits in a two connection block together with other wire from lamp.

The rose I've bought has earth, neutral, SW and loop connections. I'm assuming earth and neutral are straightforward but what goes into SW and what into loop? Light has a normal dimmer switch on the wall.

Earths all together in earth clamp.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:13 pm