tavatine tile problem
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gary29
Apprentice
Apprentice

tavatine tile problem

by gary29 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:39 am

Hi all i have just tiled a bathroom wall. bath was level and tiled up from there no problem tiles were 18 x 12 tavertine went up realy good then got to the top i have 1/4 inch at one end and a inch at the other end where the ceiling is out dont really want to put tile slithers in and they probably wont cut that small with out braking cant put coving over as will make horizontal lines look out cant leave it white will look odd any idears money tight and need to drill tiles whats the cheapest way to do this thank you :?:

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: tavatine tile problem

by rosebery » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:40 pm

"Hi all i have just tiled a bathroom wall. bath was level and tiled up from there no problem tiles were 18 x 12 tavertine went up realy good then got to the top i have 1/4 inch at one end and a inch at the other end where the ceiling is out"

Ahh the lesson of laying out in advance learned!

"dont really want to put tile slithers in and they probably wont cut that small with out braking"

You really have no option and yes you can cut them "that small" using a quality wet cutter. I made a 1/4" down to zero sliver in marble for the end of a sloping shelf last week using my (brand X) radial cutter.

"cant put coving over as will make horizontal lines look out cant leave it white will look odd any idears money tight"

Agree about coving and you can;'t leave it that way because it will look like a botch job. The obvious answer of remove, lay out properly and redo but this won't be attractive if money tight. If its your bathroom then perhaps you can get away with pleasding money is tight. If you are being paid for this job against a quotation and are looking at losing money then you should take it on the chin and fix it. The solution - sliver away as above.

"and need to drill tiles whats the cheapest way to do this"

Not sure of relevance to the wall / ceiling interface question. What do you mean by "cheapest"? Travertine is not as hard as ceramic so you can drill it with a good quality (good quality mind) masonry bit - just don't use hammer! Having said that you really should use diamond bits and if you can't aford to buy them, hire and pay the wear charge afterwards.

Cheers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:43 pm