telephone cable
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gdh82
Labourer
Labourer

telephone cable

by gdh82 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:55 pm

I've been having problems with my telephone.
At first it started being crackly then one day i came to it there was a tone there but it had a 'hollow' sound to it and wouldnt dail.
At first i thought it could have something to do with the bad weather we've just had,but when i looked at the box my little son had pulled it away from the wall.
When i opened it up there were two wires still connected but others werent but they looked as though they havent been connected in the first place.
Ive got a few questions.
1)How many wires are connected and into which terminals.
2)The wire into the house comes through the wall by the front window and only has about 1.5 inch of wire to play with.I want to move the box but obviously i need to extend the main wire. Icant find the wire anywhere as it all seems to be extension cables.
Where can i find it?

I dont yet have broadband or even the internet at home but will do soon.
I'll be going with sky ho will be fitting a wireless router.

Any help will be apprieciated

cheers

stevenc1603
Ganger
Ganger

by stevenc1603 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:54 pm

OK, in order for your telephone to work you only need 2 wires connected.

These are generally the blue pair, but I think I remember seeing the orange pair used. The get connected over the middle contacts of each block of three. Numbers 2 and 5 if they are numbered.

If you get them the wrong way round I think the phone still works but doesn't ring when you call in. People phoning you would get a ringing tone but you'll never answer as it won't ring at your end. Chances are the wires you have are connected in the right place but they might have worked lose.

Pull them out (after noting which way around the wires are) and trim off the ends then re-insert them.
You'll either need a very thin flat blade screwdriver or ideally a proper punch down tool to push the wire into the jaws of the connector.

If you want cable you can get it although you usually find its in large drums but you might be able to buy it by the meter at a wholesale place.

gdh82
Labourer
Labourer

by gdh82 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:23 am

Thanks for the advice i'll have a look when i get home.

Cheers

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:19 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:32 am