Telephone extension
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

Fin
Labourer
Labourer

Telephone extension

by Fin » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:32 am

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help please?

I have a main telephone socket in my hall into which is plugged one phone. I also have an extension from the point in the hall to a socket in the lounge & from this have another phone/answerphone and another phone on a separate socket in the bedroom upstairs. The cable for this extension runs under the carpet from the hall to the lounge & over time, although still working fine has worn through where it passes across the kitchen doorway (not ideal, I know but I've never had any problems with it).

When my carpets were removed recently due to a flood I noticed the extension cable was damaged & decided to replace it with a new piece before the new carpet goes in later this week.

The new cable I have is slightly different from the original in that it has only 5 wires:

Orange/white
Blue/white
White/blue
Green/white
White/green

The old cable has an additional 6th wire, white/orange.

Following instructions I found on DIY Doctor, I have wired the new cable in as follows with both ends the same:

Blue/white to 2
Orange/white 3
White/blue 5

However, none of the extension phones now work! The only one which rings and can make outbound calls is the one plugged into the main socket. I'm in a panic now as I need to get this sorted before the new carpet is fitted!

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:18 am