Telephone extensions post adsl filter
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nickharris76
Labourer
Labourer

Telephone extensions post adsl filter

by nickharris76 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:37 pm

Hi - I've searched but not found quite the same question.. grateful for any suggestions...

I've a master socket (NTE5) in my basement. The only thing currently connected to it is an adsl router (via an adsl filter).

I've run telephone wire to 4 points in the house which have standard face plates on the other end and currently just bare wire next the master socket. I'm trying to work out how to connect these to the master socket. I could just join the two required wires together and wire directly into the area behind the face plate, but don't really want to have to put adsl filters in each room (the only place requiring adsl is next to the master socket).

My only thought at the moment is to strip a BT Plug and wire 4 to 1 in a junction box.. but this doesn't seem very elegant!

(Other option was to use combined phone/adsl face plates in each room which i discounted due to not being needed and not available in the style of the other sockets)

Any suggestions?

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

by collectors » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:23 pm

Your master socket will have the wires connected to terminals 2 & 5, or A&B if a BT master. The wire running off to your other sockets will need 3 wires connected to terminals 2-5 & 3 in the master & the same in all others.
You will have to use filters at each socket with this layout.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:24 pm

My phone line goes into garage where I have a junction box connecting all phone extensions and I use one filter for all with one out going to router the other going to all phones and fax and it works far better than when I used filters at every socket as it has reduced EMC problems.

However only one phone uses wire 3 and rest are now cordless and fax also does not require the wire number 3. I have just one non cordless phone so I can still use it in a power cut.

I have found many problems have arisen with ADSL as although many internal wiring worked fine with just a phone the same is not true with ADSL and proximity to mains cables can completely mess up the broad band once the sockets start getting used and power starts to flow.

The electricians test meters will not detect these problems so to split the two as soon as they enter the house makes a lot of sense. However the hard ware to do this does seem to be lacking.

To do a neat job only way I can think of is a deep box and a grid switch set-up so you can mix and match as you like.

ssrat
Labourer
Labourer

by ssrat » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:50 pm

Since you need to just connect to the phone side could you not just use a junction box like you said i take it your talking about a BT77A or B to jion the wires? and then have a lead going from the junction box to a short lead terminated with a BT phone plug just plugged into your master socket (with a doubler if needed)

And like you i think you only need the 2 wires, the other wire is the ring wire that is used to make old style phones ring, removing this at the master socket can reduce your SNR and make your ADSL faster or just more stable.

nickharris76
Labourer
Labourer

by nickharris76 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:55 am

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I've found another solution. Spotted this whilst googling and ordered...

"tamarshop.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=363" (also available from them on Amazon for even less)

Seems to be exactly what I want I'm after.. and internally you can hard wire to either side of the filter.. so I'll just put my 4 extensions hard wired into the filtered side (if I can't get 4 wires in then I'll put one in and use a small junction box just outside).

Will let you know how I get on.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:58 am