"Telephone" type shower/bath mixer tap problem
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Nails_by_Dee
Labourer
Labourer

"Telephone" type shower/bath mixer tap problem

by Nails_by_Dee » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:27 pm

I have the “telephone” type of tap where you have a central lever which diverts water to either the tap or shower.

Recently I am unable to stop the shower when requesting only tap, but can have all water diverted to shower only.

I have replaced washers on these taps before but this is something I have not had to worry about before…

Is there a washer that may be worn inside this mechanism or is it something more technical which must be repaired or replaced..?

I looked at the mixer tap project but this hasn’t really helped me as it was a kitchen tap which did not have the option of chosing shower or tap.

If I do need to change or replace something - How do I get into the tap to get at it?

There is a shallow bit that looks like it might be a nut on the front of where the lever is but getting a spanner on here would be difficult as it is only a couple of mil wide – I thought perhaps this is just decoration and I need to remove the unit completely to access my problem area. I dont want to scratch it up and Im afraid to make things worse!

Can anyone identify what the problem is and direct me to a tutorial or help directly please?

Thankyou

Nails_By_Dee

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

by TheDoctor4 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:15 am

Have you had a look at the DIY Projects section of this site? There are several projects related to taps that may be of some use to you: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm

Cheers

Nails_by_Dee
Labourer
Labourer

by Nails_by_Dee » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:26 pm

Hi
Thanks for replying.
Yes I did check out the project section first but nothing there that I can relate to my issue.
Hopefully someone will be able to point me in the right direction.....please!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:21 pm