DIY Doctor

The plastic thing that holds the bulb in place has broken

Postby George74 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:47 pm


You know that cheap looking plastic thing that holds the bayonet style bulb in place (I have no idea what the experts call it). I broke it in two as I was replacing the bulb.

Can some one please tell me if it's easily replaced and how?

Thank you for your help,

Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:33 pm


Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:32 pm

Screwfix call it a "BC Cordgrip Lampholder" BC stands for Bayonet Cap i.e. push up standard is 22mm. Two wires only on most and either way around. Bit of a fiddle getting wires hooked up on plastic lugs to take weight without allowing cores to show once all fitted. Make sure power is off of course. Not allowed to give web page but I'm sure you will find it.

Postby kbrownie » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:12 pm

Hi George74.
Yes the lampholders are quiet easy to replace, it's just a matter of unscrewing them disconecting the flex and refitting the new one.
You can buy them from all good electrical wholesalers and DIY shops.
Good Luck
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 1995
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:36 pm

Postby George74 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:13 pm

Thanks guys. I decided to get a sparky in to do the job after all, as in my case the D in DIY stands for distroy.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:33 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics