This paint stinks!!!!
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

thedoctor

Re: This paint stinks!!!!

by thedoctor » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:16 am

I would think it unlikely but,to be honest, i thought stinking ait from Crown was unlikely in the first place...Paint the plaster as suggested and keep fingers crossed as we can't know. If problem persists contact Crown by reading through above. PLease do let us know how you get on.

Seany3
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Seany3 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:52 am

Will do thankfully I'm away from home at the minute but will be sure to update when I strip and paint. Good luck to all with this issue it's awful

Janeta
Labourer
Labourer

by Janeta » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:38 pm

Ok, I had the same problem and I found very simple solution that worked for me. If it works for anybody else I don't know. I decided to wash the paint of the wall and used my steamer to help me. Even though the paint wasn't entirely gone, I noticed it stopped smelling completely. Only after that I realized that some people talked about bacteria in the wall reacting with the paint. I assume the steam would actually killed that bacteria. That is my assumption. 24 hours later there is still absolutely no smell. I painted some of the walls with Dulux paint and some of them I left as they were. No problem so far. Don't know if it will appear in the future, I hope it won't! :)

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:10 am

Great news Janeta,

I'm sure steaming the walls will kill any bacteria but I do wonder if this should be necessary when all you really want to do is smarten up the home with a lick of paint. I am assured the manufaturers are stilllooking into these stinking paint problems and as soon as we hear anything more we will come back.

Janeta
Labourer
Labourer

by Janeta » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:42 am

Of course it shouldn't be necessary. And yes, I did use Crown pain Breatheasy. For me steam is a better solution than painting it with the stinky primer and having weeks before we can sleep there, like some people mentioned here. It's in a bedroom and we don't have anywhere else to sleep. I was really pleased it worked as we are renting and just moved in, I can't do anything crazy to the walls here. I wanted to improve the room bey redecorating... right! :s
Still no smell so far :)

It's been years and it's still happening, so I am not sure if Crown will do anything about it than publishing a video with their "easy solution" of applying the primer (Which is expensive, not so easy to get everywhere and stinks).

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:49 pm

We pass every complaint on Janeta and we really admire your inivitive solution. As soon as we hear anything I willpost it on the forum myself.

Seany3
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Seany3 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:13 am

Justpan update if it helps anyone-i have 2 decoraters coming to quote today for a strip repaper and paint job but the smell is so bad that i had to try somethibg in the meantime. as per an old post i got an old spray bottle filled with probably 1 part white vinegar 1 part lemon and 2-3 hot water sprayed the walls all over. it was a horrific smell last night but this morning the smell has reduced by about 95%! no idea whether it will be back with avrngeance or not but at least we got some sleep last night without the stinky wall smell seeping through the house be amaxing if it was a permanent fix but i doubt it. So sharing as perhaps a short term solution.

CrownCustomerTeam
Apprentice
Apprentice

by CrownCustomerTeam » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:35 am

We are sorry to hear that our product has not met your expectation on this occasion. At your convenience, please contact us directly on 0800 3896122 or advice@crownpaints.co.uk
Crown Paints Customer Relations Team

Seany3
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Seany3 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:50 pm

Well stripping, repapering and painting with dulux has worked for us. Lesson learned. Will never ever buy crown again

CrownCustomerTeam
Apprentice
Apprentice

by CrownCustomerTeam » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:19 pm

Hi Seany3,
Sorry to hear that you have had a problem.
Please contact us at your convenience as Its important we understand your circumstances.

Our Contact Details are: 0800 389 6122 or advice@crownpaints.co.uk

Joys
Labourer
Labourer

by Joys » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:49 pm

Thank you for making me laugh, sorry that so many have had a bad experience. I have completely re-decorated 2 houses with various paints and have also painted 1/2 of my mothers house, so have lots of experience with different paints. Last week I prepared a small cloakroom (toilet) and decided to use up some Dulux trade paint 2.5 ltr that I had mixed up 2 years ago and never used, (although I opened it 2 years ago to use a little and decided the colour wasn't right for a big room). I have used paints to touch up areas with old paint and no problem. The paint looked great, I've often used Dulux trade as it's thick and requires less coats. All other rooms have been fine where I've used Dulux trade.
I just did a trial under the basin and by the toilet. A few hours later I thought I must have shifted the toilet as it stank. A few months before a friend was replacing a tap and put all his weight against the toilet as it was stuck and it shifted and then when used it all leaked, but we got it all sorted. So I looked at the toilet and there was no problem, so as everything was clean in there I smelt the paint and that was the smell. Thanks for all your posts, I've now used sandpaper to get some of it off, but it's in really hard to reach areas.
Its got no window to air it, (maybe a good thing judging by some of your posts saying the warm air makes it worse), however it's really quite embarrassing as it smells as if the hallway is not fresh (understament when you go near the cloakroom). Now I know I'm not alone and will just keep using sandpaper, and am grateful it's just a small area, the room had never been re painted since the house was bought and painted 14 years ago.
the can of paint which is full does not smell any different to the other cans of dulux trade I've used with no problems. So it's only once it dried, very strange I was in such a small area and smelt nothing whilst applying it, only once it was dry.
I will never put paint on a wall without testing it on some cardboard or something and letting it dry, I suggest others also test their paint before using. I understand about the air mixing and something about the stagnant water, but it's definitely not just crown, it obviously can happen to any brand of paint. I don't think Crown should get the whole blame.

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

by proptech » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:05 pm

This thread has been going on and on. Having just read the latest post. I think I'll add my bit.
Joys has mentioned two important points, and I agree entirely. It's not just Crown, it's any water based paint, and by any manufacturer, and it's very sensible to test out the paint if it's been stored for any length of time.

I have always recommended that if emulsion paint is going to be thinned, even slightly, and any left over paint is going to be kept, then only thin with distilled water. This should prevent contamination from the bacteria in tap water. Contamination can also be from the air, normal use in something like a roller tray must create a lot of exposure.

The other thing That should be mentioned is storage. It says on the can "protect from frost" If the paint has been frozen, and thawed out be leaving it in a shed or garage, the chances are that will be destroyed.

So thank you Joys, I wasn't going to get involved in this one. Just hope I've not started something now !

moravski
Labourer
Labourer

by moravski » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:25 pm

It is very unpleasant smell and is spreading into other rooms. The painted room is by far the worst. Smells of dry urine and sulphur. Two weeks after painting the room it is still there.

Of course that Crown will say it is ok. Like any other brand name. When they got it wrong they'll do everything and beyond to get away with it until they are publicly squeezed and they apologise. Shame and disgrace.

This is the first and the last time I used this paint. If anybody is thinking of buying Crown paint do yourself a favour and stay away from it. The only thing you'll get is the regrets whenever you walk in to the house. Open windows for prolong period of time does not help.

I'm still looking for the cure before sanding the walls / ceiling and repaint with Dulux.

S

CrownCustomerTeam
Apprentice
Apprentice

by CrownCustomerTeam » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:14 pm

Hi Moravski,
Sorry to hear that you have had a problem.
Please contact us at your convenience as Its important we understand your circumstances.

Our Contact Details are: 0800 389 6122 or advice@crownpaints.co.uk

askjim
Labourer
Labourer

by askjim » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:14 pm

Hi

Taylor Wimpy recently had to fix ceiling damage after we had a leak from the roof. They did a poor job and came back to paint ceiling and walls this time. It was during the second visit when the walls were painted that the room stank afterwards.

Paint product used was CROWN and previous paint product used originally back in 2004 was also CROWN.

I am just about to embark on a project to redecorate the whole house and concerned that if the problem happened in one room it could happen in all rooms. Would CROWN be interested in using my house as a lab?

Is there any way to find out?

Going back to the original problem, will one or two coats fix the problem or will it require a sealent?

Thanks

James

It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:54 pm