This paint stinks!!!!
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

393 posts
Hwis40
Labourer
Labourer

Re: This paint stinks!!!!

Post by Hwis40 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:01 pm

Hi, after I had all the ceilings in my flat re skimmed I painted all the rooms in turn, mostly using Dulux and Lakeland zero Voc paints except for the bedroom, where I used Wilks durable paint on 3 walls and the ceiling. The paint was brand new, as were the brush and roller. Within 4 days the walls and ceiling emitted a foul rancid stench as everyone in this post has experienced. I returned the unused tin of paint for testing, but Wilks refused to test any of the paint applied to the walls and ceiling. After 4 weeks of not being able to use the bedroom and getting nowhere with Wilko, except an email telling me I must have introduced bacteria to the tin or had bacteria on my walls and ceiling, I discussed the problem with my University colleagues, all researchers in microbiologist or biochemistry. As nowhere else in my flat smells at all, including the remaining wall in the bedroom which was painted with the last of the Dulux, we believe the cause is bacteria or fungi surviving latent in the paint tin until it was opened and oxygen was introduced allowing the bacteria to grow and metabolize something in the new or old paint which stank. The human nose can detect just one or two parts per million of certain smells, which may be below the level the quality testing would detect.
I applied a fungicide wash made by Astonish which was suitable for applying to walls, and kills all known fungi, moulds and 99.9% of all known bacteria. It took 3 applications on the ceiling and the 3 walls where I had painted with wilko paint, I had used durable paint which is washable, I would expect to need just one or 2 applications for normal emulsion.
It has worked, the smell of the fungicide took 3 days to completely disappear, but with it the foul rancid sour milk stench has also completely gone, hopefully for good. I was reluctant to paint or seal over the top of the bacteria in case this just trapped it in its latent phase and did not kill it.
Anyone trying the same remedy you will need a face mask and goggles to wear when applying the fungicide spray as it is hypochlorite based which is an irritant, then keep out and keep the room well ventilated until the chlorine smell has gone.

KeithB
Labourer
Labourer

This paint stinks!!!!

Post by KeithB » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:04 am

Here's our story that started about 10 years ago when we painted the spare bedroom in Dulux Soft Stone vinyl Matt. For 10 years we've had the smell, we've cleaned, blamed a John Lewis mattress which we it appears wrongly dumped. It didn't need repainting really but it wanted freshening. We liked the colour and I had some in a tin which I thought id water down as a first coat and then stick a new "1 coat tin" over as the second. I though the old tin smelt a bit but I was in a hurry. What a big expensive mistake. We finished the room thinking the smell would go but it didn't. New curtains had to be dry cleaned, it was sickening. I looked at this site post and others and bit the bullet. Not just one but 2 coats BIN to make sure. And then 1 coats of Dulux as above from a trade supplier. New carpet down finished. Then straight onto the second room and as we only had 2 walls to do in that colour and again wanted done quick, gave it one coat from the same tin in a room that had never smelt, again in 10 yr. Soon after the first room smell arrived albeit not as bad but it has gone on for 3 months getting worse we think and mostly behind the bed. Then the second room also, behind the bed but perhaps elsewhere but not as bad. So here's the situation, old paint used that was probably dodgy in the first place. BIN probably worked, but I'm thinking the new one coat Dulux stuff has the same problem. So now we have to do 2 rooms again, all nicely fitted out with new double beds and carpets etc. Where's it all going to go? But it has to be done and although I've had too many birthdays I'm a pretty good painter. So it's going to be sugar soap, one coat BIN, and then Zinsser coloured permanent white as recommended here. Let's fingers crossed but I'm with you all in your endeavours. Any comments on my plans would be grateful, I'm dreading it. Cheers

Beany
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Beany » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:35 am

KeithB - I feel your pain! You may have seen my previous posts - Valspar in 4 rooms - all stink. We have just redone one room; sugar soap, BIN then two coats of tinted PermaWhite. The smell has gone so all's well there.
We're trying to get the enthusiasm to do the other rooms now...at least we know how to get rid of the smell.

My concern is what paint brand to use in the future. We had a bad experience with Valspar but other people have had the same with other brands. It seems there is a risk of Wall Odour Phenomenon with all brands so how can we be sure it won't happen again. One possible option I've seen recommended on here is to use the Zinsser PermaWhite (tinted) as it has a biocide in it.
Incidentally, a lady on the B&Q Customer Service desk says it's caused by the low VOC levels in paints these days; bacteria can grow more easily.

Hwis40 - can you tell me more about the fungicide wash please? Is it still holding the smell at bay? Where can I buy it?
Thanks

KeithB
Labourer
Labourer

Post by KeithB » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:50 pm

Hi Beany. How long since you did the room? I think with my first room I hadn't washed down, and I've a feeling its coming through the two coats of BIN and into the new Dulux. Just hoping the wash down, BIN and Zinsser emulsion will be the thing, it certainly seems to be the favourite on here. I'm going to call Z tomorrow.

Hwis40
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Hwis40 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:59 pm

Astonish Mould and Mildew Remover was effective at killing the bacteria which seemed to be causing the foul stench from Wilko durable paint. I bought it from Poundland in Newcastle, it is also sold in B and M bargains and Waitrose.
I sprayed the stinky walls and ceiling with it 2 weeks ago and so far so good.

Beany
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Beany » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:11 am

Thanks Hwis40 - I'm going to give it go - got to be better than three more coats of paint!

KeithB - it's only been two weeks but we've had lots of sunshine and fresh air - the two things that trigger the smell - but it seems to be doing the job.

From what I understand, the BIN is used to deprive the bacteria of oxygen by sealing the surface, thus killing it. Could you have missed anywhere with the BIN?
I have also found that the smell 'moves around' so it's sometimes difficult to pin point exactly where it's coming from. Could it be from another room?

One thing I didn't mention - before I used the sugar soap/BIN/Permawhite method I thought I'd try to cut corners; so I did two coats of tinted Permawhite i.e without the BIN, to see if the biocide in the PermaWhite would be enough - NO!! two days and the smell came back.

KeithB
Labourer
Labourer

Post by KeithB » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:44 am

Beany. Jeez! I put 2 coats of BIN on!! The smell is coming from behind the bed which I've pulled away from the wall to get air round, but thats where its strongest in both rooms. Certainly on the first room I BIN'd i never missed anything.

lindylu
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by lindylu » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:54 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40655163

They say the smell goes over time. Rubbish! I had a major problem with Crown.

DSBL
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by DSBL » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:45 am

Hello All -

Thought I'd check in and make sure that you had all seen this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40655163

For my own saga, Valspar are trying to make it as difficult as possible for me to give them information. I supply scanned copies of receipts, they can't read them. I get B&Q to send receipts, they can't open one. They ask for a quote from my decorator, I supply the amount quoted on several occasions, they need "actual" quote - but don't ask for it until last email after they have asked for many, many other things - back and forth. They have no idea how resilient and tenacious I can be.

B&Q have basically washed their hands of my case and punted it to Valspar. They used the exact same form letter language as Valspar to respond. I was not impressed.

I have spoken to the Advice Bureau who were quietly shocked by the story and have created a case with Trading Standards. I would suggest you all add your voice to the mix. This shouldn't happen to anyone else.

DSBL
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by DSBL » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:12 am

There is also this BBC Radio report: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08xxdl7

The Valspar discussions come in at the 13:45 mark.

Melja
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Melja » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:22 pm

Any updates on valspar negotiations? I am currently going through it now and wondered what valspar have compensated for? Have they refunded any decorating charges at all (before I go to the hassle of trying to hunt out old quotes from well over a year ago).

Hope everyone has sorted out the awful stench by now. Zinsser bin has saved my sanity.

Any replies much appreciated.

KeithB
Labourer
Labourer

Post by KeithB » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:11 am

Mines a slightly different problem, but I've been following the Valspa situation closely. I understand people have been getting something like £370 a room? Glad the BIN worked, did you use one or two coats? And what did you paint over with please?

Keith

Beany
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Beany » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:20 pm

Hi Melja
I dealt with B&Q rather than Valspar and was pleased with how it was eventually resolved. I did not have receipts so had to send credit card transaction details. That started out as a complete pain as they said they couldn't find them against their records. Fortunately I then realised that there was a batch code and purchase date on the paint labels. I was able to do all the cross referencing for them i.e. show them specifically which B&Q transactions on my credit card related to which paint purchases. I also provided them with a room by room calculation and cost of how much Zinsser BIN I would need to buy, plus the cost of rollers, brushes, tape, trays etc. It went smoothly from there. They covered the cost of the Zinsser I needed plus the consumables. My approach was to give them as much information / evidence that I could about the problem with a suggestion of how they could solve it - all backed up with calculations and costs from manufacturers websites. It was alot of work but the lady at B&Q did comment on my 'homework' and did not question anything. Obviously I dealt with B&Q not Valspar so they may be different but I do think it helps if you can present all the facts and figures supported with as much evidence as possible. Hope this helps. Good luck.

TPJones491
Labourer
Labourer

Post by TPJones491 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:46 pm

What I've learned from this thread is to never use Crown or Velspar. Yikes.

Hendrik John
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Hendrik John » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:09 pm

Dear all

We have painted our new house (ground and 1st floor) with a VOC free primer and paint. Initially there was no problem, but after 5 weeks, we still have a warm/BURNT RUBBER odor in the rooms. It doesn't disappear with ventilation and it's too strong to live and sleep in those rooms.

Did anybody tried the H2O2 hydrogen peroxide 3% treatment described by avatamsaka?

Dear avatamsaka,

Is the hydrogen peroxide H2O2 3% treatment on the walls still successful?

Thank you

393 posts
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:01 pm