DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Three-way Valve on Water Heater Question

Postby defaultgateways » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:37 pm

I was wondering if someone could clear something up for me. What is the purpose of the three way valve on the vertical pipe joining the upper and lower pipes feeding the tank? Is it used to bypass the tank? If not, should it remain opened or closed?

It was opened when I purchased the property, but I cant get my head around what purpose it serves.

Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:25 pm


Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:00 am

It seems to be a thermostatic mixing valve with remote sensor, I would guess it controls temperature of domestic hot water. But I am only an electrician.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2659
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:49 pm
Location: Llanfair Caereinion, Mid Wales.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics