Tiling a new floor - fit skirting first or after tiling?
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
terryw
Labourer
Labourer

Tiling a new floor - fit skirting first or after tiling?

Post by terryw » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:11 am

I'm planning to employ one of two tilers to supply and install travertine tiles in my new conservatory/dining room. One says always install skirting boards before tiling and tile up to them otherwise you have to scribe the skirting and infill in some way ("decorator's chalk"?). The other says he has never heard of such a practice, always tile close to the wall and put the skirting board on top - that way you don't lose half the height of the skirting (as we are having underfloor heating on backer boards under the tiles) and if the tiles are laid properly that will give the best finish.

They've both been around for 25 years plus, though only the second one is an actual tiler, the other just employs them.

Which is the best way to do this, please?

DUDE DIY
Ganger
Ganger

Post by DUDE DIY » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:38 am

IMO definaley tile first and skirting last. It will hide any rough tile edges which hit the wall and give a much neater overall finish. Thanks.

terryw
Labourer
Labourer

reply not received

Post by terryw » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:01 am

I've had notification of a reply (and the index page has one reply noted) but no reply appears. System fault due to server change?

Could whoever replied please repeat their advice - many thanks.

Terry

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by TheDoctor4 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:16 pm

Hi

Apologies for the delay. As you can see, above your post you will be able to see your reply.

Cheers

terryw
Labourer
Labourer

Post by terryw » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:21 pm

Many thanks, that confirms what everyone I have asked says, apart from the firm we want to do the work for us!

I'll sort them out based on this info.

Thanks again

Terry

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:08 am