3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
davembk
Apprentice
Apprentice

Tiling before shower tray and enclosure

Post by davembk » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:52 pm

Hello, any advice really appreciated.

New here, my first ever post!

I'm completely gutting my bathroom (no bath, just shower, sink, wc) and fitting all new. All good, solid walls, no stud partitions.
Because I'm a bit concerned that I might damage the tray and enclosure if I tile after, I'm thinking of tiling first, maybe beyond the enclosure and below the tray ie to nearest whole tile.
I've heard and appreciated that water tightness could be compromised with this approach, but at the moment I'm still thinking about it.

Am I asking for trouble, or is it still feasible to make a really good lasting seal when doing it this way?

Or could I go for halfway house and only do this for the enclosure, so that at least the tray water is tiled to after? The reason for asking is that I can see that the enclosure could now over-reach the tray, which has effectively got smaller than the enclosure by a tile thickness. Probably not a fair question without having the exact dimensions of each.

Thanks again, Dave.

davembk
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Tiling before shower tray and enclosure

Post by davembk » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:48 am

Replying to my own post....

I meant water tray not tray water

I also just realised that I could tile after, with the cubicle not in situ, ie fit to the wall only the vertical rails that take the glass panels. That would at least remove the panels from risk of damage by me when tiling.

Dave.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Tiling before shower tray and enclosure

Post by welsh brickie » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:27 pm

tile first,I usually fit a small quadrant plastic bead around the shower tray after installation, I think it looks better, but that's only my opinion.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:57 am