Tiling of plasterboard
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
iiimurray
Labourer
Labourer

Tiling of plasterboard

by iiimurray » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:28 pm

I am modernising a 1930' semi and in bathroom which is tiled to half height have roved 2 layers of tiles to find a bed of mortar that is unstable so have taken this back to brick (all internal walls are brick). Plaster above is about 20mm thick and is clearly also not secure so logically will remove all to expose brick. Intend to ceramic tile from floor to ceiling throughout bathroom. Question is can I dot and dab with plaster board, will this be strong enough to hold weight of tiles, adhesive and grout as this seems to simplest option rather than fixing battens or wet plastering. Brickwork seems in fair condition and appears to be reasonably flat. Should I seal bricks with diluted PVA before adhering boards and should boards be sealed on external face before tiling? Around bath/shower screen area, is it necessary to use moisture proof board or can standard wall board be used with waterproof tile adhesive and waterproof grout?

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

by collectors » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:49 pm

Sounds good with what you are doing, but would personaly use damp proof plaster board & use marine ply around any bath or shower area.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:52 pm

yes you should seal the brickwork prior to dot and dabbing. No to sealing the plasterboard prior to tiling.

unskimmed plasterboard can take 32kg/sqm weight of tiles, though personally i'd try not to exceed 20kg/sqm for dot and dab.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:43 pm