Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
FanPilot
Labourer
Labourer

Tiling slate onto bitumen

by FanPilot » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:22 am

Hi all,

This is my first serious DIY project that I am about to take on myself and I am as nervous as hell in case I get it wrong.

I have a kitchen to fit, which is going onto a slate floor, though I need to lay the slate floor first.

My current floor is bitumen.

I have some ideas of how to lay it, I just have some other technical questions. I will be starting in the center of the room and I will be chalklining. I will be measuring so that I get equal edge spacing which means I will be either putting a tile smack bang in center, or putting 4 in the center.

Now, I have GRANFIX CFTA Flexible Adhesive, GRANFIX superior grout and GRANFIX Acrylic Bonding and Priming agent. I also have a bag full of 5mm spacers.

What do I do with the acrylic bonding and priming agent? I thought I bought it to seal the tiles after I laid them. In fact, I still think that is what it was bought for... I think I am supposed to mix it with water... if so, to how many parts?

It was a while ago (about 3 months) since I bought the glue, grout and agent.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

FanPilot
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Tiling slate onto bitumen

by FanPilot » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:15 pm

(embarrassed smilie)

I found some more fluid in the boot of my car that got missed when I took the adhesives out...

Aqua Mix enrich and seal. I knew I bought something to seal.

I have since learned that the acrylic bonding and primer, I paint onto the bitumen, like I would paint PVA onto a wall before plastering. I then "glue" the tiles on top of this.

Now... what I can't remember is whether I put the enrich and seal on before or after I grout the tiles. I seem to remember it being before, and the bottle has "may also be used as a pre-grouting sealer", which that very statement does not make it conclusive.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:30 pm