Tilt turn window mechanism sticking
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Habitual Bodger
Labourer
Labourer

Tilt turn window mechanism sticking

by Habitual Bodger » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:33 pm

One of my windows has started to "stick" when I turn the handle.

I can open it but the handle no longer goes all the way up to the "2 o'clock" position. Is there anything I can do (short of dismantling the unit, which seems like a bad idea)?

I have tried using a little oil and some grease but I can't be sure where the problem is.

I THINK it is at the top hinge which seems to control the tilt/turn opening.

Can anyone tell me how problematic it would be to dismantle the mechanism to try to unstick it?

It LOOKS as if I should be able to re-assemble it but I'm nervous about the prospect of having no window!

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

tilt and turn

by welsh brickie » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:52 pm

I suggest getting a company to do it for you they can be quite tricky if you dont know what you are doing.

a6windows
Apprentice
Apprentice

by a6windows » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:12 pm

how is the opener for alignment with the frame check this first if it is out this will be causing your problem .is the sash striking the lock reciever in the outer frame.if it is the type with hinge at the bottom with a white cover remove cover and at bottom side of hinge you will see an allen key bolt at the bottom of the hinge wind this to adjust the sash,until the mechanism clears

allan the locksmith
Tradesman
Tradesman

by allan the locksmith » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:31 pm

Unless you have a little experience of upvc forget it as you could end up with a window falling on you with no experience. Many locksmiths wont touch them but not that bad if you know what your doing.

as they have lots moving parts it could be sticking many places and unless you have a source for the correct new part get in a pro.I did one last week and the parts were unobtainable so had to replace and adapt with a completely different mech which was tricky and more time consuming as you have to realign every keep from scratch.

Habitual Bodger
Labourer
Labourer

by Habitual Bodger » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:02 pm

I just came across this again.

Actually, I was able to fix the problem by dismantling it and cleaning all the parts. It was a tricky job - moderately challenging technically but it depends on how good you are at putting things back together as they were before you dismantled them.

The entire issue was caused by a build-up of grit mixed with grease clogging up the mechanism, which I bet is responsible for 90% of similar problems.

I removed all the metal parts and washed them with soapy water, and stuck them back together with some grease to lubricate the moving parts. It's now the best window in the house!

I think the [b]fear[/b] of what might go wrong is the biggest obstacle in this, if you are modeately mechanically-minded. On the other hand, there is no doubt that you could end up with a window you can't re-assemble and the window itself could be dangerous if not properly supported as the hinges are dismantled.

I've seen lots more questions than answers on this problem throughout various forums so I thought some people might be interested to know that it can be done, if I wouldn't necesarily recommend it.

Taking photos of the mechanism at every stage would be a wise precautionto help with re-assembly.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:46 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

Reegz
Labourer
Labourer

by Reegz » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:59 pm

[quote="a6windows"]how is the opener for alignment with the frame check this first if it is out this will be causing your problem .is the sash striking the lock reciever in the outer frame.if it is the type with hinge at the bottom with a white cover remove cover and at bottom side of hinge you will see an allen key bolt at the bottom of the hinge wind this to adjust the sash,until the mechanism clears[/quote]

Fantastic! I had a sticking 3 Directional window that was making hell of a creaking noise when i turned the handle. Following your advice i managed to clear the creaking and stop the window 'falling' out of its tracking at the same time! You sir are a legend!

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:53 pm