timber frame
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cheeky monkey
Labourer
Labourer

timber frame

by cheeky monkey » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:14 pm

Hi i am new to this site so i would like to start by saying hello to you all. :)

I am making timber frames for an airing cupboard, the frames consist or two stiles and three rails all mortice and tennon joints. The timber for the stiles (2.3m) is slightly bowed.

So can i use the slightly bowed timber for the posts putting the bowed timber (stiles) with the bowed timber counteracting each other then held square by the rails, or should i put the bowed timber with the bows going in the same direction.

Once glued and clamped will the frames hold square.

Thanks in advance.

Oddbod
Ganger
Ganger

by Oddbod » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:50 pm

Hi. Ah, the number of times I've thought I'd get away with doing stuff like that! Unfortunately it usually comes back to bite me later.

Hate to say this, but I think you'd be better off either planing out the bow (if the thickness allows) or sourcing better timber. If it is that dire whitewood the DIY sheds often stock then definitely the latter. A timber merchant will have some decent redwood (ie pine) which they should be able to plane to size for you.

In the end the wood always wins!

LEO292
Apprentice
Apprentice

by LEO292 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:24 am

Youve made this sound very confusing! Do you mean your makeing the door lining for the airing cupboard? if so fix the frame to the studwork with the bow going away from you. This means you can pack the frame away from the studwork using 3mm ply and this will keep the frame straight and inline. Keep measuring the distants between the frame so they are parallel. Always fix frames with screws and not nails. This allows for easy adjustments. Hope this helps. Leo

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:33 pm