Timber Framed Extension and What Best Construction Method to use?
Questions answered and a range of solutions on problems and issues encountered with timber framed buildings

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
phoenixzeroone
Labourer
Labourer

Timber Framed Extension and What Best Construction Method to use?

by phoenixzeroone » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:12 pm

Good evening and Happy New Year to all....

I wonder if there is anyone here who could give me some help/advice regarding the construction of a rear single store extension which i will be starting on my own house in a few months.

Due to size of extension i don't need planning permission, and have already paid for building control to oversee the work.

I want to construct the extension with an timber frame inner skin and brick outer skin. With a timber suspended floor in the middle of it all. I figured i will save money this way as i can do the joinery work myself and will save money on materials and labour over the Brick, Block & Slab method.

My first question is:

What kind of construction preparation is needed before the timber frame and floor and be installed?

I was thinking of digging to clay and pouring concrete foundations and coming up with a few courses of brick & block and running floor joists between the block (above the DPC) And sitting the timber frame on top of the inner skin of the block.

Is this the way is supposed to be done?

Any help/advice appreciated.
Regards

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Timber Framed Extension and What Best Construction Method to use?

by collectors » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:07 am

I would look into a block & beam build as it gives you a nice big flat & safe floor to work off from the start.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:02 am