Timber Framed Extensions
Questions answered and a range of solutions on problems and issues encountered with timber framed buildings

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Steven Hill
Labourer
Labourer

Timber Framed Extensions

Post by Steven Hill » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:53 pm

Hi
I am interested in a timber-framed extension to the side of my house - around 40 sq metres to use as a gym and leaisure room - possibly as a self-build, and with a preference for the scandanavian suppliers

Having read all the marketing gumpf from suppliers, I am finding it difficult to get a sense of the pros and cons of timber framed extensions, limitations etc, and some of the prices look too good to be true

I also notiice that none of the suppliers seam to offer any type of guarantee and rarely mention whether the wood is treated etc, or how construction will compare to brick building in case of high winds or storms etc.

Are you able to help with pros and cons or timber framed versus traditional and uPVC constructions - and the ide of self-building these, or recommend a report/book etc

Thanks very much

Gaspin
Labourer
Labourer

Timber Framed Building

Post by Gaspin » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:31 pm

I recently had a free standing Scandinavian Log Cabin supplied and built by a company called Keops Interlock. The size of it is about 4.5 x 5.5 metres and I had them prepare the base, supply and build it, and then I treated it both inside and out with their recommended wood treatment. Although Keops say you can erect the cabin yourself in a weekend. unless you're a really good diy person with all the neccessary tools etc, I wouldn't recommend it. It took 4 experienced guys who do this for a living 12 hours to put mine up, and they know what they're doing. It took me long enough to give it 2 good coats of wood treatment inside and out and that was more than enough work for me. Add in the electrical work required and the furnishing etc and you've got yourself quite a project.

Having said all that I'm extremely pleased with the final result and am currently sitting cosily inside it typing this response to your question. I would have no hesitation recommending Keops. Their price was in the middle of the 3 companies I looked at as was their quality (you have to ask yourself how much you want to spend and how high a spec do you want to go to) but they had the edge for me in that their sizing is much more flexible than any other of the suppliers of log cabins that I looked at. They give a 5 year guarantee on their products and you can check them out on their website which is logcabins.co.uk

Hope this helps,

Gaspin.[/b][/i]

Jim357
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Jim357 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:12 pm

hi there..
i do know a timber frame is cheap.. but they design it..with a standard brick exterior..so it blends in with the house..
which can add costs..
but it can be built to any size you need..

hope it is of some help.

Telephone number deleted as we do not allow free advertising on the website. DIY Doctor pays its staff through advertising on the site and the advertisers that have paid to be here will not take kindly to adverts, phone numbers and links being posted for free.

reggieroo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Timber Framed Building

Post by reggieroo » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:12 pm

[quote="Gaspin"]I recently had a free standing Scandinavian Log Cabin supplied and built by a company called Keops Interlock. The size of it is about 4.5 x 5.5 metres and I had them prepare the base, supply and build it, and then I treated it both inside and out with their recommended wood treatment. Although Keops say you can erect the cabin yourself in a weekend. unless you're a really good diy person with all the neccessary tools etc, I wouldn't recommend it. It took 4 experienced guys who do this for a living 12 hours to put mine up, and they know what they're doing. It took me long enough to give it 2 good coats of wood treatment inside and out and that was more than enough work for me. Add in the electrical work required and the furnishing etc and you've got yourself quite a project.

Having said all that I'm extremely pleased with the final result and am currently sitting cosily inside it typing this response to your question. I would have no hesitation recommending Keops. Their price was in the middle of the 3 companies I looked at as was their quality (you have to ask yourself how much you want to spend and how high a spec do you want to go to) but they had the edge for me in that their sizing is much more flexible than any other of the suppliers of log cabins that I looked at. They give a 5 year guarantee on their products and you can check them out on their website which is logcabins.co.uk

Hope this helps,

Gaspin.[/b][/i][/quote]

I'm going to see them in the morning about building me a custom log cabin extension to house my gym etc. Good to know somebody is pleased with their work.

reggieroo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by reggieroo » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:13 pm

[quote="Gaspin"]I recently had a free standing Scandinavian Log Cabin supplied and built by a company called Keops Interlock. The size of it is about 4.5 x 5.5 metres and I had them prepare the base, supply and build it, and then I treated it both inside and out with their recommended wood treatment. Although Keops say you can erect the cabin yourself in a weekend. unless you're a really good diy person with all the neccessary tools etc, I wouldn't recommend it. It took 4 experienced guys who do this for a living 12 hours to put mine up, and they know what they're doing. It took me long enough to give it 2 good coats of wood treatment inside and out and that was more than enough work for me. Add in the electrical work required and the furnishing etc and you've got yourself quite a project.

Hope this helps,

Gaspin.[/b][/i][/quote]

I'm going to see them in the morning about building me a custom log cabin extension to house my gym etc. Good to know somebody is pleased with their work.

reggieroo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by reggieroo » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:18 pm

:D :D

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:36 pm