Timber or melamine skirting boards ?
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Timber or melamine skirting boards ?

by htg engineer » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:33 pm

I have just laid laminate flooring, all i have to do now is fit new skirting boards. In other rooms I have used timber sanding, undercoating and glossing.

I have drilled and screwed some to the wall filling the untrue corners and screw heads, but the last room I done I used liquid nails for fixing to wall and filling and found it very effective. So I wont be drilling the skirting this time.

This time I was thinking of using white melamine skirting to save on having to sand and paint.

I'd imagine i'd have to use masking tape whilst cutting to stop the melamine chipping.

Is this type of skirting any good ?

Does the filler show more where corners aren't a true 45 degree's as it wont be painted over ?

Will it last or does is discolour quickly ?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Oddbod
Ganger
Ganger

by Oddbod » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:43 pm

Hi. I guess you mean melamine faced MDF or something? To be honest I wouldn’t bother. I’d just crack on as you have done so far. You could use pre-primed MDF skirting to save on sanding and priming. (You can also sand, prime and undercoat the solid wood skirting before cutting and gluing to the wall – much easier on the back!)

I can’t imagine it is going to look any better, and are you sure it is going to save that much time?

Painitng melamine when you re-decorate is also a pain.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:36 pm