To self-level or not garage concrete floor with "grooves/waves" to convert to home office
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bleicker
Apprentice
Apprentice

To self-level or not garage concrete floor with "grooves/waves" to convert to home office

by bleicker » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:55 am

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out if self-levelling for my garage floor is needed for my home office conversion. There are grooves all the way which some are up to 5mm deep. I'm planning to insulate the concrete floor on top with PIR boards of around 100mm and I was wondering if these grooves will affect them. In theory, they should take some of these grooves into the board once I step on top, but also there are so many and the weight on top may not be enough to make them sit properly now, but maybe later with furniture on top it will and then that will cause some movement on the floor. What do you guys think? My plan is to add a damp proof membrane on top of concrete, 100PIR boards, foil tape in between them or perhaps another DPM sheet to avoid any moisture from above sinking into the boards, 18 or 22mm chipboard on top, then a thin plywood layer as I'm planning to carpet on top. What do you guys think?
IMG_20210820_112850.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: To self-level or not garage concrete floor with "grooves/waves" to convert to home office

by stoneyboy » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:13 pm

Hi bleicker
Provided the concrete floor is flat there would be little gain in using self levelling on it.
If you are using T&G chipboard on the insulation and will be carpeting with underlay there is not point in overboarding with ply.
Regards S

bleicker
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: To self-level or not garage concrete floor with "grooves/waves" to convert to home office

by bleicker » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:25 pm

stoneyboy wrote:Hi bleicker
Provided the concrete floor is flat there would be little gain in using self levelling on it.
If you are using T&G chipboard on the insulation and will be carpeting with underlay there is not point in overboarding with ply.
Regards S

Thanks for the advice, I'm going down the route you recommended :)

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:23 pm