Toilet buttons very hard to press
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
koalablue
Labourer
Labourer

Toilet buttons very hard to press

by koalablue » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:20 am

I have a dual flush toilet. Less than a year ago the buttons became very stiff and hard to depress. A plumber installed a new button set and now the same thing is happening again. I almost broke a finger trying to push one of the buttons down yesterday. The amount of pressure you need to apply varies from flush to flush, but generally speaking it's very difficult. Any ideas?

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:14 pm

Cheapest solution is prolly to change the whole valve. You've had someone in to replace the buttons and are living with inconvenience. All that represents a cost to you. You are looking at between £ 10 and £ 25 for the cost of a complete valve plus fitting.

Cheers

Edited 'cos my kb can't spell valve!

koalablue
Labourer
Labourer

Very hard to press toilet buttons

by koalablue » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:36 pm

Thank you for your reply. We knew this was an option but plumbers being so expensive, we wanted at least have a go at fixing ourselves. My clever husband seems to have fixed the problem but time will tell.

Inside the cistern under each of the buttons there is, for want of a better word, a plastic plunger that slides into a plastic box. There appeared to be a bit of white calcification around the edges of this box and he thought maybe the plunger was hitting this. He sprayed WD40 around the edges of the plastic box where the plunger slides in and both buttons are now working perfectly.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:48 pm