All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
steve bain
Tradesman
Tradesman

toilet cistern in loft

by steve bain » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:17 pm

hi all.
i'm sure this has been asked before but i have searched and no luck. i have space to run pipework.

all i need to know s can i fit the toilet cistern to flush the loo 2.4m on the floor below. i have concerns about the pressure and most of the water ending up on the floor!!

anyone tried this. it would make the install far simpler, tidier and cheaper if i could.

and before someone says to just use a standard set up the loo is just to one side of a 700mm (cill height) window so a standard cistern would look silly imo.

thanks for any help in advance

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:43 am

i very much doubt that the water would end up all over the floor.

my biggest concern would be with having to run up to the loft to flush the toilet each time :)

check when you buy the cistern that the remote flush button can operate over that distance. if you are using the air compression flush you might find that the air pipe is too long.

steve bain
Tradesman
Tradesman

by steve bain » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:50 pm

i have one of those pull down loft ladders so shouldn't be too much of a problem. :lol:

i was thinking extend air pipe, electric flush or slightly retro hill billy chain coming through the ceiling through a nice s/s ring.

thanks for your help. i think i am going to make a mock up outside to test it first.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:49 pm

extending air pipe won't work, the length of pipe supplied with those types of flush mechanisms are usually already the max length they can be - any longer and they don't function properly. better off with one of the other two options.

acsimpson
Foreman
Foreman

by acsimpson » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:53 pm

In my experience it's the toilet bowl which is the limiting factor. We had a high level cistern which worked fine until the toilet needed replace. After that water splashed everywhere. We had space so lowered the cistern, however you may be able to restict the flow by putting it through a constriction in the pipe or round some extra bends.

Have you thought about putting the flush button on the ceiling? You could also try replacing the flush button that comes with it with one which allows more compression.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:21 pm