Toilet cistern water flow poblem
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
90Diva
Labourer
Labourer

Toilet cistern water flow poblem

Post by 90Diva » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:00 pm

:cry: After flushing, the toilet cistern refills - sort-of, but the water also runs straight into the toilet bowl at the same time. And as long as there is water in the cistern it continues to run into the toilet bowl. Currently I prop up the valve arm to stop water filling the cistern until it is required again. The cistern is a close-coupled, top-mounted push-button model and I can't see how to do any dismantling should it be required. I could really do with some advice on this please.

Dave From Leeds
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Dave From Leeds » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:48 pm

There will be something preventing the "flap" at the bottom of the cistern from seating properly. You'll need to remove the lid to investigate. I believe that some of them have a ring around the buttons that unscrews to release them whilst others just prise out.

My niece had a similar problem in France last year whilst I was there. Her lid simply lifted off and I found that a plastic tube had caught on the chain attached to the flap preventing it from dropping properly.

I'm not a plumber by the way, just a happy DIYer.

90Diva
Labourer
Labourer

Post by 90Diva » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:37 am

Thanks Dave but I have no difficulty at all accessing the inside of the costern - the lid simpy lifts off. What I can't see is where to go from there. The picture in the projects area of this site does not accurately reflect what is inside my loo cistern.

Dave From Leeds wrote:There will be something preventing the "flap" at the bottom of the cistern from seating properly. You'll need to remove the lid to investigate. I believe that some of them have a ring around the buttons that unscrews to release them whilst others just prise out.

My niece had a similar problem in France last year whilst I was there. Her lid simply lifted off and I found that a plastic tube had caught on the chain attached to the flap preventing it from dropping properly.

I'm not a plumber by the way, just a happy DIYer.

Dave From Leeds
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Dave From Leeds » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:42 pm

I don't fully understand these systems yet; the only one I've ever really had anything to do with is my niece's that I mentioned. That's about to change though, we've just bought a new bathroom suite including a push button flush loo.

At the bottom of the cistern in the middle there should be a plastic dome affair, probably about two & a half to three inches in diameter. This should sit on the base of the tank to form a seal in order to hold the water in the cistern. There will be some sort of mechanism operated by the buttons which raises this flap to release the water when the toilet is flushed. Something may be snagging on the flap or its opening mechanism preventing it from seating properly on the floor of the tank giving the seal. Or maybe a seal has failed on the plastic flap itself.

Sorry I can't be of more help but, as I say, I haven't had much involvement with these systems (YET). Don't know if anyone else could help. Good luck.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:57 am