All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pir8ped
Labourer
Labourer

Toilet no longer flushing properly after move

by pir8ped » Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:10 pm

Hi,

I redesigned our bathroom which involved moving the toilet in order to put a gas boiler against the outside wall.

Since I did that, the toilet doesn't flush well. It used to flush fine, but now we sometimes have to resort to tipping a bucket of water down down to remove persistent floaters.

The cistern is the same, and at the same height. I'm guessing the change is due to previously, the waste pipe was vertical after a very short near horizontal stretch. Now there's a 2.5 metre near horizontal waste pipe before the drop down.

I really don't want to change the position of the toilet again, and it can't go back where it was. Can anyone suggest the easiest way to improve the flushing efficiency? If necessary, I can swap the toilet and cistern, but change it to what? I don't want to change model and get the same result.

Grateful for any suggestions,

John

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Toilet no longer flushing properly after move

by stoneyboy » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:25 pm

Hi pir8ped,
You do not say what sort of wc you have.
Assuming it is close coupled, where the cistern sits on the pan, check the size of the flush unit, it will either be 11/2 or 2 inches. It may be either a siphon type or plunger type.
You need a 2" plunger type for maximum flush effect.
Make sure you have connected the pan using a full bore adaptor not a multi quick one where the fins fit inside the waste pipe.
Regards S

pir8ped
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Toilet no longer flushing properly after move

by pir8ped » Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:57 am

Aha, it's a 1.4 inch syphon type. I'll change that for a start.

Thanks very much!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:21 am