Toilet Trouble - 8 months and counting
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lindendavies
Labourer
Labourer

Toilet Trouble - 8 months and counting

by lindendavies » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:23 pm

I have looked at so many forums, and cant get the answer to this one.

We have moved into a house, about 15 years old. It is full of little problems, but the toilet is the main one at the moment.

When we moved in, we had to have a plumber change the fill valve on the toilet, cos it was causing an extreme pipe vibration when flushed. Anyway, about a week ago, the flush system had to be replaced due to a worn flapper.

Anyway, the fill valve also had to be replaced because the thread broke on it when re-connecting.

My step-father changed this, it was fine, except for a loud thud when the water turned off, and the fact that it took about 5 mins to refill. When I asked he said he put a low pressure resistor in the pipe, so I asked him to remove this so it would fill. When this was removed, the toilet filled up too quickly, so it did not flush properly. We then decided to restrict it slightly using the screw on the inlet tap, it worked fine but then it make a hell of a noise and a thud when the water turned off.

I decided to start again and buy a new flush valve. It works fine and quiet with the low pressure resistor, but takes about 5 mins to refill, when I take this out to speed it up, it makes an awful loud noise, and bangs when it turns on.

I am stuck with what I can do. The pressure coming into the house is quite high, but with the resistor I dont see why it makes such a loud noise and a thud. The only reason I am worried is cos we are an end terrace, the toilet is on the connecting wall and our neighbout is a bit or a prat lol.

Any Ideas? ? !

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:36 pm

Try holding the mains cold water pipe when the toilet refills, and see if it makes a loud bang. it can sometimes be as simple as clipping the pipes, as they can bang together, on walls or skirting boards if the pressure is high.

Try turning the mains stop tap down to reduce the pressure into the house.

lindendavies
Labourer
Labourer

by lindendavies » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:01 pm

hi there, thanks for the reply. holding the pipes makes no difference. and reducing the mains does not do anything :( -

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:08 pm