DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Top layer of garden wall spalling

Postby Grandad99 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:00 pm

Our front garden slopes up to the pavement and when it was dug out to provide a level parking area the highest part was left as a flower bed with a 4 foot high double brick retaining wall. Ordinary bricks were used with the top row laid front to back at right angles to the rest of the wall. Apologies for not knowing the technical description but hopefully this makes sense. From memory I think they are tudor red bricks

Over the years most of the top layer bricks have spalled and I am thinking of having all 445 replaced. What sort of bricks should be used and can the colour be matched?
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:00 pm


Simply Build It

Postby welsh brickie » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:35 am

you need to use an engineering brick you can get a red pressed smooth type. Exact matches are not really possible in engineering bricks, or get black go completely different.
welsh brickie
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2612
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:54 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics