Transformers outdoors - how to keep dry
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gooseberry
Labourer
Labourer

Transformers outdoors - how to keep dry

by gooseberry » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:58 pm

I have 2 sets lights outdoors, they advise to keep the supplied transformer dry. At the moment Ive put them in plastic bags to keep out the rain as a temporary measure. After looking on line I can only see large dri boxes for numerous cable and plugs . I want to use something just bigger than a transformer to keep it dry - with no water getting in where the cables come in and out. One end of the transformer the cable is sealed in so I cant push the cable into a small hole in a protective box, the other side of the transformer has a two pin small socket so the cable could be pushed through a small openeing here . Any suggestions - as to what to buy or DIY ideas appreciated. Why sell outdoor lights with a transformer to use outside but then you have to keep dry with no box supplied ?

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Transformers outdoors - how to keep dry

by Mr White » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:39 pm

I guess it is down to cost as to why the cables are "so short" although it may only be 1m or 2m, if you consider how many thousands they make, it soon adds up.

There is nothing that says you can not extend the cable by a few metres.

You could also try a "multi connector box" It's an adaptable box with several "cable outlets" (Several places on line sell a version of it.)

Or you could custom make one from timber and "paint" it.

gooseberry
Labourer
Labourer

by gooseberry » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:13 am

Hi thanks for getting back with a reply , the cables are not short in fact there is too much cable masses of length. Ive got a dri box to put the electrics in - plugs etc . its the transformer itself they say keep dry - may have to do a box like you say or adapt a plastic tuppa ware container. Just thought there may be something to buy as loads of people have outside transformers .

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:18 pm

gooseberry wrote: Just thought there may be something to buy as loads of people have outside transformers .

There is, I already said so.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:31 am