Transformers
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
BTG
Labourer
Labourer

Transformers

by BTG » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:14 pm

I have a problem with my spotlights in the bathroom and kitchen. So far four transformers have stopped working - its definitely not the bulbs.

I find it strange because they are only about a year old with an 8 year guarantee. I know that I can easily replace them, but is there something that I am missing. Did the electrician install them properly?

How long do transforms usually last for?

aspguitars
Labourer
Labourer

Transformers

by aspguitars » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:07 pm

Hi! not sure if I can help, but many people don't understand transformers. All they do is to either step down the voltage or step up the voltage.
Most small bathroom lights are usually about 12 volts. This means that they have to cut the voltage from 230v to 12v. But most 12 volt lamps work on Direct Current, whereas your mains supply is around 230v Alternating Current. Also each transformer will have a maximun Wattage output on it. So for example if you wanted to run four 25 Watt lamps, your transformer would have to be capable of supplying 100Watts. It is possible that the transformers that you have been buying are the wrong ones. Check the wattage of the lamps that you are trying to power, and then make sure that you know whether they are DC or AC. This is very important.
Hope this helps
Ade

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:36 am

Check sizes of bulbs they can be from 10 to 50 watts and if designed for 10 and you fit 50s then they will be overloaded. Also some have min wattage as well because of being switched mode and if they should have 100watt load and you only have one 10 watt bulb in it can also damage the unit. If all bulbs blow it auto shuts down but wrong sizes really mess them up. If you change from extra low voltage to 230 volt there are now some better options with cold cathode and LED versions but make sure the bulb is held not the pins as otherwise they stick out too far when cold cathode types are used. They use less power between 1 and 11 watt rather than 10 to 50 watt and are cold to touch series known as GU10's look the same and no transformer to blow. May not be able to use in bathroom but your electrician will advise as to how close and high they can be from shower.

Eric

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:00 pm