Travertine External Corner Edging
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
surferbod
Labourer
Labourer

Travertine External Corner Edging

by surferbod » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:39 am

Hi all, I have recently had my bathroom tiled in travertine. Part of the bathroom is only tiled halfway up the wall and so the tops of the tiles were exposed. To try and make it look neater the tiler has placed a chrome strip on top of the tiles which I don't think looks very good. Even the chap who fitted them wasn't happy with it really. There are 3 external corners where the strip does not sit right and looks messy so I'm very keen to try and find a solution.
The only edging I have found so far is for straight runs and will not do the corner sections. One suggestion was to remove the strip and grout over gap neatly and then rub it down so that it is smooth.
Does anyone have any other suggestions please? Thanks....

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:00 pm

I think chrome or SS tile edging looks the real biz if its installed correctly. Don't fit much 'cos most won't pay the £ 25 (!!!!!) a strip cost.

There is no difference in reality to fitting this to the plastic type. It needs mitering correctly or it looks pants. Perhaps he didn't have the right tools?

Does part of the strip fit down behind the tiles in this case? If the job is finished and the adhesive gone off you'll have a devils own job getting it out if the tiler used bagged cementatious adhesive (which he should have done).

Its relatively easy with plastic - just run the blade of a fein multimaster (or equivalent) under the edge of the strip and cut that part that is behind the tiles off. Then you can lift the exposed part away.

Oh is it chrome / silver coloured plastic rather than metal? If so you can take it off as described and perhaps go for the grout option. I'm not exactly certain you have another option actually if the tiles are up 'cos you'll not be wanting to take them down again.

The other approach would have been to polish the exposed edges but that needs doing before fitting.

Cheers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:25 am