DIY Doctor

Tri-Iso : is this enough on it's own?

Postby katkin » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:36 pm

Hi there

My builder wants to use Tri-Iso insulation over the inside of the roof in my attic bedroom. Do you think one layer of this will be enough? (plus the plasterboard and plaster on top). Or should he be using something like Celetex as well in between the rafters?

Your advice would be much appreciated!

Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:25 pm


Simply Build It

Postby stoneyboy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:34 pm

I think your builder should be involving the local building inspector. Suggest you get in touch with the local building control department and ask if they would approve this material.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 3844
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:44 pm

Postby xavi99 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:44 pm

A real contentious issue this one. Its a product that's been on the market for a number of years but has not been tested in accordance with the recognised british standard. It relies on reflecting the heat and a number of layers which traps air.

Local Authority Building Control do not generally accept tri-iso as a product on its own but private approved inspectors do.

I am not aware of any cases where tri-iso has had to be removed or additional insulation retro-fitted because it has poor performance.

Consult your BCO and see what there opinion is.

Good luck

Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:01 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics