Trickle vents
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jsmithy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Trickle vents

by jsmithy » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:56 am

Hello,
We live in a conservation area. The house is Victorian terrace with a single storey rear extension consisting of bathroom and kitchen. We replaced the uPVC windows in the rear extension with some nice wooden ones, but with no trickle vents. When Building Control came they said the kitchen needed trickle vents (bathroom OK as it has an extractor fan that vents outside). This was news to me! At no point had the company who replaced the windows mentioned this or suggested it. Now it just ignores my emails.
Assuming the trickle vents are required before Building Control will sign off, how can I resolve this? How much would having the trickle vents cost in one window? I think if I tried myself I'd be scared to damage the new window.
Maybe this isn't even the right board - apologies, I am so frustrated right now. ta
John

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Trickle vents

by stoneyboy » Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:13 pm

Hi jsmithy,
The preferred solution would be for the window supplier to correct their work.
If this does not happen buy a pair of trickle vents, mark the outside one on the frame and drill a series of 8mm holes through the window frame. You really need a guide jig to make sure you are drilling at right angles to the frame surface.
Regards S

jsmithy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Trickle vents

by jsmithy » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:06 am

Thanks. I appreciate your reply

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1