Trimming tiles already on the wall
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
seekay
Labourer
Labourer

Trimming tiles already on the wall

by seekay » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:03 am

Fixing to install an engineered-wood floor in the bathroom to replace the previous owner's delightful lino, and I'm wondering if there's a way to trim the bottom 1cm-or-whatever's-required off of the actually-quite-decent ceramic tiles which are on all vertical surfaces without removing/breaking them, as I doubt I could source matching replacements easily? Also I could then employ the hidden gap as expansion-space without having to go for filler, which would look more appealing. Could using a scriber followed by a careful hammer and chisel achieve this? Would the gap idea be feasible? Or is it all a bit daft? Grateful for all opinions, thanks, Chris.

DUDE DIY
Ganger
Ganger

by DUDE DIY » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:39 pm

All sound a little too much trouble my friend and a little crazy. Almost impossible as well to cut tiles which are fixed to a wall with out cracking them and causing mess of the tiles. Also quite dangerous to cut into a wall, you could hit pipes, electrics! etc. what about laying your floor up to the tiles then adding a piece of wood trim get a nice finish.

seekay
Labourer
Labourer

by seekay » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:31 am

Thanks for that Dude, I figured it mightn't be the best idea people had ever heard but it's good to have someone confirm that (before I destroyed the room!) Much obliged to ya...

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:36 am