Trowelmarks/grease???
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Daveplasterwanab
Labourer
Labourer

Trowelmarks/grease???

by Daveplasterwanab » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:00 am

I have been plastering for 6months self taught just for my own house and family. On the second coat , second trowel and onwards I sometimes get a grease Mark were I have just troweld and if I try to go over it it won't go , and shows up When painted when light hits it or if u look down the wall. Is this a bad trowel I'm usin or over troweling? Please help thanks

Dan the man
Ganger
Ganger

by Dan the man » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:01 pm

Dont use to much water when troweling up, I tend to flatten it twice with no water then trowel it up once with water then a dry trowel. Works for me but I suppose it depends on your technique and the way you angle your trowel. Try different things, Ive been plastering nearly 20 years and I've changed the way I skim a few times.

30yearsinthegame
Tradesman
Tradesman

by 30yearsinthegame » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:15 am

dan is spot on . on board i do 2 dry may be 3 if im hitting 30 -40 sqm and then a wet one. i use a spray these days keeps the fats off the wall, a small tip for you . wheen you do you wet one put lots of presure on the wall with your trowel this ensures a all pink wall , no water marks , fats, tiger stripes, but it does take a little getting used too. after 2nd dry trowel i lleave it 15 to 20 min before wet trowel. i use a 16 " trowel to put on with 20" trowel to trowel out with , then a 11" inch when i wet coat. my dad always said use the biggest trowel you can handle . he was always right.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:20 pm