TRV in Bedroom has no pin in and Radiator Constantly on
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
scientist22
Labourer
Labourer

TRV in Bedroom has no pin in and Radiator Constantly on

Post by scientist22 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:11 pm

Hi everyone. Thought I'd post this here, as I might be missing something really obvious, but I don't think so. Just moved house, one radiator in bedroom is on irrespective of how TRV is turned. Took that off just now... there is no pin. See pics. Also bottom inlet seems pinched.

Qs..
1) I am guessing need to replace TRV. This is OK, but need some time for that I guess, drain system..
2) Is there a chance of leaking, it seems fine, but still..

Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: TRV in Bedroom has no pin in and Radiator Constantly on

Post by stoneyboy » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:13 pm

Hi scientist22,
Yes you definitely need to fit a new TRV. The bent pipe is where is has been "adjusted" because the pipe was at the wrong angle. It should not cause any issues provided you do not try and straighten it.
Regards S .

scientist22
Labourer
Labourer

Post by scientist22 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:32 pm

Thanks mate. OK but probably fine for a bit, right?, although annoying as it is heating on full the whole time.. Ta!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:57 pm

Hi scientist22,
A new TRV will sort the heating problem, ignore the bent pipe if it's not leaking now it will be fine.
Regards S.

scientist22
Labourer
Labourer

Post by scientist22 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:04 pm

Thanks a lot. Helped me out quite a bit as I was a bit worried. Ta.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:25 am

I wanted to fit a new TRV, and did not want to drain whole system as that means new inhibitor, so I took a chance, I got the carpet cleaner ready to suck up water, turned off the valve other end of radiator got every thing ready and went for it, I only lost a cup full of water which the carpet cleaner sucked up. It was down stairs so I thought worth a chance, there are freezing packs to freeze the water in the pipe to allow changing a valve without draining, and you do need to be careful not to over tighten joints, I tighten until they stop leaking, no more, over tight can damage olive, so don't go daft.

There should be a valve other side of radiator with a cap on it so you can adjust flow, so you should be able to turn radiator down.

scientist22
Labourer
Labourer

Post by scientist22 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:23 pm

Hi mate, that is smart, so I guess I could at least turn the radiator off by turning it of with the valve on the other end.. That seems like a smart temporary solution.
I will look into freezing and such. I think I have a closed and not open system so that is a bit more involved than what I am used to. With vented I have done/seen draining filling. Probably not too different but would need to research.
Thanks a lot for your reply. Let me know your thoughts.
M

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1